Friday, April 25, 2008

Old School, New School






Hi everybody. How are you all doing? Hope good. Because of my love for music, I want to make some comparisons between the music of the old school and that of the new school. Wow things have really changed. I know I might be young and not really know anything about old school music but I am definitely a follower of old school music. On the rap part, we had Public Enemy, Run DMC, Rakim, KRS One, just to name a few. These were artistes who rapped and talked about very sensible stuff. In the 90s, we had 2pac and Biggie, some of the finest rappers I think I have listened to in a while. Though sometimes they said some pretty dirty stuff in their songs, listening to songs like Thugz Mansion, Brenda's got a baby and other songs would blow your mind away because it is evident these guys were very good writers. The rappers of nowadays just talk about sex, money and drugs and it is unfortunate to see what rap has deteriorated to. The rappers of now I might give credit to include Talib Kweli, Common, Lupe Fiasco just to name a few. On the part of r n b, wow please there is no comparison whatsoever. We had the likes of Marvin Gaye, Barry White(with his baritone voice), Luther Vandross, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, Brian Mcknight. We had groups like the Temptations, Jackson 5, New Editon. Wow this was when rnb was rnb. Have you all heard the original version of the song "I am telling you I am not going." I bet the only version a lot of people have heard was that of Jennifer Hudson from American Idol but you all need to listen to the real version by Jennifer Holliday. Oh my God, these were the real rnb singers. The few artistes of today I admire include Chrisette Michelle, Corinne Bailey Rae, Lyfe Jennings, Alicia Keys just to name a few. In the past, we also had groups like the Bee Gees, the Beatles, Abba just to name a few. Personally, Abba was my favorite band. Right from elementary just before going to school, I would take out the tape from my Dad's collection. It became more of a ritual. Songs like Dancing Queen, Money money money. Those are some of my best songs(I know it sounds weird).

To show how good these old school songs were, they are still played in places today and we even find artistes of today using their beats or giving a different rendition to these classics. Those of you who are not impressed with the songs being played today, I want you to refer to some of the above listed artistes. I promise you you will enjoy their songs. Have a fun weekend. Peace





No comments: